Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Award Season


Award Season
My Photo 
Marsha over at Splenderosa tagged my blog for an award. Click over to her blog and see the beautiful jewelry she carries, as well as her lovely posts.
Thanks Marsha!

She asked each of us to answer ten questions to help people get to know us better
I am so honored that she included me on this list. I am enjoying blogging so much more than I even thought possible. It is so much fun to post my thoughts, ideas and well, whatever comes to mind and share it! I just love all the women in the blogging world that offer us a glimpse into their lives and give us inspiration. So, here are the answers to her questions!

1. Would you describe yourself physically for us so we know you better?

I am tall and fairly fit, although like most women my age I am wondering about the migration route parts of my anatomy have taken! An ongoing battle of acceptance.  I like my blue eyes and it makes me happy to have passed them on to my four children and two grandchildren. 
My hair is brown and I am ever so grateful for the blonde balayage that my hairdresser adds to give it some style.

Me!

2. How often do you go to the hairdresser?
 I go to my hairdresser every two months to get a balayage treatment. I really like it because it is so much more natural looking than traditional highlights. I usually just get my hair trimmed because I wear it all kinds of ways but usually just loose and easy.

3. Do you have pets?

Yes, I have two black cats that my college aged children talked me into and of course they said they wanted them, but the girls are now living in the city and guess who has the cats?

 I also have an English Lab named Lucy who is so silly, and a rescue dog, Bill, who is very serious and tolerates Lucy’s nonsense. We are ever so grateful for him because he takes great care of her.

In addition we have seven cows. We raise organic beef for our family and it makes us feel good to be able to provide them with such high quality meat.

I love horses and am taking English riding lessons with the goal of buying a horse, preferably a Warmblood. There are several of this breed at the stables and I just love them.


4.  Are you married, single, etc.?   Children?
I am married to my high school boyfriend (I still love that word, makes me feel young) and we are having the best time in our empty nest. We have four children, Robin 36, Sarah 30, Aimee 28 and John 26. Robin is married to our wonderful son-in-law, also named John, and they have twins, Jack and Lola who have brought an untold amount of joy into our lives. We have amazing children and are a close family with many traditions that we cherish. We are so lucky because our twins live just a quarter mile away and we get to spend so much time with them.
Lola, John, Jack, Robin, me, Mark, Aimee, Sarah and John
My family!



5. Where do you live?
We live in Snohomish in the state of Washington. Specifically, we live on the farm homesteaded by my husband’s grandfather 100 years ago. We are incredibly fortunate to have this beautiful piece of property and we feel we are the caretakers, keeping it safe for future generations. It is 100 acres of woodland and pastures that we are just determined to keep undeveloped. It is such a treasure.


6.  If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be & why?
Right where I am!
But if I had to choose it would be Italy and I think Cinque Terre. I love that coastal town on the Italian Riviera; it has the most wonderful feel to it. It is very small with little cafes and a bakery. In the evening the townsfolk come out and sit on benches and visit, it is just enchanting.



 7. What is your outfit of the day most of the time?
I generally run around in my yoga/Pilates clothes. But I love fashion so I also like to dress up.
I love wearing dresses, boots and skinny jeans. Some might say I have a little boot fetish. Oh, and a white shirt obsession. Think Diane Keaton in “The Family Stone”.

8. What quality do you admire most about your best friend?
I have had a best friend for years that I met when we were five years old and lived by each other. Even when our lives took different paths we always came back together. I admire her loyalty and her flexibility. Both qualities make for a great friendship. 
This is my best friend Diane at our Harry Potter party, AKA Sybil.


9. Favorite movie of all time?  Favorite book of all time?
Does anyone ever answer just one?
This is always a tough question and personally I believe it all depends on where you are in life. You can watch a movie and it just blows you away and then ten years later it doesn’t have the same effect.
I loved the movie Sophie’s Choice. I had two of my four kids and it just wrenched my heart out because of course I was a mom and could not fathom being in that situation. I also love the Godfather saga; I just finished watching all of them in order! A few of my other favs are The Departed, Braveheart, Life is Beautiful, Elizabeth, Pride and Prejudice and Life as a House.


There are so many wonderful books that I still want to read.  I really love Wally Lamb as an author; I also like all the Jane Austin books. I think right now my favorite book is A Thousand Splendid Suns, a moving and beautiful story.

10. Favorite song or favorite music.
I would have to say that Bob Dylan is one of my favorites, but then there is the Beatles. I also love Johnny Cash and Hank Williams and Adele. As for songs, I love Justin Timberlake’s Hallelujah, Adam Lambert’s Tracks of My Tears, the Beatle’s Let It Be and John Lennon’s Imagine. I could go on and on, but I will just say that music makes me happy and I love to sing my heart out when I drive. Full disclosure, terrible voice, hence the singing in the car.
 




 11. What is your passion ?

I asked my husband for help with this answer and he replied, where do you start, everything. 
My thoughts exactly, which is why I asked. Generally, I don’t do anything halfway. I dive in and immerse myself in whatever I am interested in.  I love interior design, fashion, gardening, riding, entertaining to name a few. I would say however that my biggest passion is my family. They are what matters, they are my life. I believe everyone needs a family, but I also believe family comes in all forms. One of my favorite quotes is as follows:

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. "Jane Howard"


I hope this helps you get to know me better. Life is wonderful, complex, frustrating, joyful, exhausting, exhilarating and delightful. I live a real life with all the accompanying problems and issues, but I am an optimist and I always find the silver lining. Sometimes it takes me a few days, but I am a glass half full kind of person. The older I get the more I see that I can choose how to live my life and how to react to whatever happens.  My fifties are the best years yet and I hope you will join me as I continue to share my life and loves with you. 


2 comments:

  1. OMG, we sound exactly alike! Love your movies & books. I think The Departed is one of the best films ever made,along with The Godfather. Now, Cinque Terre...perfection. So so much alike. So good to know. Love to you, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, that's the Lis we know and love!

    ReplyDelete